Overview Of Business Model
The key to catching the attention of a potential employer and securing an interview for a job is to have a well-written and well-designed resume. Although this may not seem that complicated, many people don’t know how to effectively write a resume, a cover letter, or a thank you letter. If you have good writing skills and know how to write effective resumes and business letters, this business opportunity could be perfect for you.
How do you operate this type of business? You can easily accept service requests via the Internet. In order for you to write a resume for a client, you will have to have accurate information regarding past education, work experience, and interests. You could obtain this information via e-mail, telephone, or a personal interview. You could develop a generic questionnaire that you send to your clients, asking them to provide you with all of the information that you need. It’s as easy as that.
To speed up the process, you could develop a database of resume design templates that you could easily complete with your client’s information. Similarly, you could develop a database of templates for cover letters and thank you letters. This would enable you to customize and complete a project for your client within hours.
Excellent writing skills and knowledge of effective resume writing techniques are necessary assets for operating this type of business.
Cost To Start This Business
Initially you will have to pay for the design, development, and hosting of your Web site, computer hardware, computer software, a scanner, and a printer. If you currently have some of these items, your initial start-up costs will be adjusted accordingly. You will also have to purchase quality resume paper to print your finished product. Although this cost is not significant, it will be more than traditional overhead. Other costs that you will incur are related to the promotion of your Web site. Estimated cost is $3,000 to $5,000 to start.
Number Of Employees Needed To Start
The number of employees needed to run this type of business is one part-time employee. You can work at this business in your spare time while working at your current job.
This business has strong international potential. People from all over the world would be interested in your resume-writing services, with the exception of countries that communicate using a different language than you do.
Important Business Issues To Be Addressed
When you accept a service request from a client and you complete a project, it is recommended that you receive payment at the time you deliver the finished product. If you provide digital copies, you might want to receive payment before delivery is made electronically.
If you are shipping your completed resume product to your clients, you should ensure that the resumes are packaged appropriately. Postal carriers are not always cautious with their packages, and having a resume with wrinkled paper would not be effective, no matter how well it is written. To ensure that your resumes and cover letters are not damaged during the shipping process, it is recommended that you package them in a file folder or a protective device of some kind.
Online Marketing Techniques
- Develop a comprehensive link strategy. You want to generate as many links as possible from Web sites, directories, Web rings, and meta-indexes related to your target market. These sites should relate to employment opportunities, job seeking, and business/consumer services. It would also be effective to have your services listed on college and university Web sites, as graduating students could benefit from your services.
- Participating in newsgroups and discussion forums related to employment, job seeking, or business/consumer services would be a great way to generate traffic to your Web site. Make sure you use a cleverly designed signature file with a catchy tagline. A potential tagline could be “Learn more about our resume writing services. Click Here!” You would be surprised how many people will do what they are told.
- You could have your services listed in cybermalls related to your target market. Many cybermalls have a section dedicated to employment opportunities, or business/consumer services. Having your site listed in a popular cybermall would provide targeted exposure for your service.
- You could develop a strategic banner advertising campaign on Web sites frequented by college or university graduates and job seekers. These are the people who would be interested in your services, so a strategic banner advertising campaign would provide your business with targeted exposure.
- Develop a sponsored listings campaign to bid on appropriate keyword phrases with the popular search engines.
- You could launch a job advice column where you could provide visitors with advice on everything from body language with potential employers to how to conduct yourself during the interview process. You could also ask visitors if they would like to be notified via e-mail when you update your advice column. This would be a great way to encourage repeat traffic to your site.
You could develop additional income for your resume writing business by selling advertising to employers on your site. You could have an employment opportunities section on your site where businesses could pay a fee to have their employment listings posted. This would be a great way to generate additional income.